Barbican Protect Limited (“Barbican Protect”, “we”, “our” or “us”) are committed to protecting your personal data and complying with data protection laws.
We use a layered approach to delivering information about data protection through:
- The London Market Core Uses Information Notice: lma.informz.ca/LMA/data/images/Bulletin%20att/LMA17_038_MS_att1_information_notice.pdf. This Notice provides further information on how personal data is used within the insurance market.
- Information we may collect about you
- Why we collect personal data
- Sharing and safeguarding your personal data
- Retention of your personal data
- Your rights
- Contacting us
- Your right to complain
1. Information we may collect about you
We may collect and process the following personal data about you:
- information provided to us through enquiry, application or claims forms, including:
- information such as your name, address or contact details;
- sensitive information (e.g. details of any criminal or fraudulent behaviour or medical information) obtained either through you or third parties;
- we may maintain records of any correspondence with you including phone records;
- information we collect through cookies. Please see our cookies statement for further information
2. Why we collect personal data
We are required by data protection laws to have a legitimate reason to process and use your personal data. The main purpose for processing your personal data is for the provision and performance of an insurance contract e.g. reviewing your application, setting you up as a policyholder, administration and maintenance of your insurance policy or in order to process a valid claim.
With regards to ‘Special Category’ data i.e. sensitive information, we must obtain your consent at the point of collecting your personal data (i.e. when you input your details online or when completing a form) in order to process the data unless exemption for insurance purposes is applicable. In some circumstances, if we do not have your consent to process your data, it may impact our ability to issue you with insurance cover or to handle any claims.
We may also gather personal data for the following purposes:
- in order to prevent, identify and investigate fraud or any activity that is in the public interest;
- to defend ourselves against or make any legal claims;
- where we have lawful purpose for processing your data e.g. for maintaining our accounts and records, gathering market intelligence in order to develop and improve our products and services. We will ensure that the processing of your personal data does not affect your rights under applicable data protection laws;
- to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation e.g. where we are required to maintain records of any transactions with you, or for compliance with international legal and regulatory authorities.
3. Sharing and safeguarding your personal data
All personal data supplied to us is stored on secure servers and only accessed and used in line with our data protection policies and procedures. Your personal data will only be accessed by our employees or authorised third parties who require the information for their business purposes. In some instances, we may share your personal data with our associated companies, insurers or service providers in countries outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”) where data protection laws may not offer the same level of protection as within the EEA. In any circumstance where it is necessary to share your personal data with a third party, there are strict contractual agreements in place to ensure the security and confidentiality of your personal data and
• Our group companies
• Authorised third parties
We may also be required to allow authorised third parties, including service providers and suppliers, access to your personal data, for the purposes stated in section 2 of this notice. Any data sharing with third parties will be in compliance with applicable data protection laws.
• Governmental, legal and regulatory authorities
It may be necessary for us to share your personal data with financial and regulatory organisations (e.g. the Financial Ombudsman Service, the Financial Conduct Authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office) or law enforcement agencies (including courts) in order to assist them with enquiries, investigations or proceedings and ensure our compliance with our regulatory and legal requirements. As a financial services company, we are required to have certain processes in place with regards to anti-bribery and corruption, money laundering and fraud. If any criminal offence is detected or suspected, we may share data with third parties (e.g. law enforcement agencies, fraud prevention agencies, anti-money laundering agencies) in order to prevent crime or aid investigations if crime is identified. We may also access this data as part of our ‘Know Your Client’ procedures to establish the parties we are dealing with and when assessing a claim payment in order to prevent criminal offences.
4. Retention of your personal data
5. Your rights
Our policy complies with the EU General Data Protection Regulation. The law requires us to tell you about your rights and our obligations with regards to the processing and control of your personal data, however not all of the following may be applicable in our business dealings:
- The right to be informed;
- The right to access your personal data;
- The right to rectification;
- The right to erasure;
- The right to restrict processing;
- The right to data portability;
- The right to object to processing;
- The right to withdraw consent;
- Rights related to automated decision making including profiling;
- There are some circumstances where we may be required to restrict your rights in order to safeguard the public or our own interests.
For further information regarding your rights, please visit the Information Commissioner’s Office’s website or click on the links provided above.
6. Contacting us
If you have any questions regarding privacy or how we use personal data, you may contact our Data Protection Officer:
- firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- Data Protection Officer, 33 Gracechurch Street, London, EC3V 0BT
8. Cookies Statement
9. Your right to complain
Should you have any concerns regarding how we process your personal data, then you have the right to report your concern to the Information Commissioner’s Office. For more information, please visit their website at: https://ico.org.uk/
- Barbican Protect Limited collects information such as your Internet Protocol address and which pages you viewed on our website. This information is used to analyse usage in order to improve our website.
- Your browser may be capable of being programmed to reject cookies, to warn you before downloading cookies, or to disable cookies and information regarding this may be found in your browser’s ‘help’ facility. However, disabling or rejecting cookies may affect our website’s functionality.
|Cookie Type||Cookie Name||Cookie Purpose|
|Session & TYPO3 Content Management Cookie||Session & fe_typo_user||We use session cookies to record an individual users preferences that the user has specified, so that each time the user returns their preferences remain. Commonly this would be language settings, shopping carts, anything where you have indicated a preference. Where forms are used on the site, we hold the information in a session cookie so that we can improve the user experience on the site. Should a user, for example, forget to fill in parts of a form when submitting a form, we can auto-fill the values for those fields that have been filled in, thereby reducing the amount of fields a user needs to amend. This information is stored only in your browser and is destroyed once your browser is closed.|
|Google Analytics||_ga _gat _gid||These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site for you. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form, including the number of visitors to the site, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.|
|Cookie Preference||cookiePolicy||This cookie is used to remember a user’s choice about cookies on this website. Where users have previously indicated a preference, that user’s preference will be stored in this cookie.|
For more details about managing and switching off cookies, please see the All About Cookies website.
Insurers' Privacy Policies